Saturday, December 18, 2010

RIP Don Van Vliet 1941-2010

Captain Beefheart formed his Magic Band the year I was born and released his last album when I graduated from high school. As I've always loved weird music, I sought out Trout Mask Replica at an impressionable age. It left me impressed.

I always regarded him as a crazy maverick, and when I learned that he was a big influence on New Order/Joy Division and Jack Dangers/Meat Beat Mainfesto it didn't surprise me. His music was always traded like secret contraband among insiders; his impact on every aspect of the punk/psychedelia wave that followed him can't be overstated.

Listening to Captain Beefheart at His Best today. A gorgeous day on Roatan.






(Copyright 2010 by Jeffrey Charles Stratton. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.)

No comments:

Post a Comment